What is a "Hold"?
When you place a book on “hold” (also called a "request" in the OPAC) at the library, your name is placed on a waiting list of individuals who wish to check out the book. A hold also allows you to specify that your book(s) be delivered to the main campus or the higher education centers. If you place a hold on a book and the person who currently has it wishes to renew it, s/he will not be allowed to do so because the hold will prevent the renewal. You will be notified by e-mail or phone when your hold is available. You may place a hold at the circulation desk, at the library computers, or from home via the library's online catalog
How do you place a "Hold"?
- Call the library circulation desk and place a hold.
- To place a hold online yourself, search for the desired item in the online catalog. From a list of search results, find the desired item and click on the Request button on top of the page. You will be asked to log in to your library account.
- Follow the instructions on the screen by entering your campus identification (user name/password) and pickup location from the drop-down menu, then click on the Submit button.
- Next, you will see a screen with the title of the item you requested and your pickup location to which the first available copy will be delivered.
- Please note that the system only processes the Request/Hold function once at the end of the day. You will be notified by e-mail or phone when your hold is available.
- Your book[s] will be held for one week at the pickup location
- Contact the Circulation Desk at 732-224-2935.