Types of Financial Aid Available

Applying for a Student Loan

Repaying Your Student Loan

Student Employment

Academic Progress

Scholarship Information

Financial Aid Forms and Publications

Contact Us

Financial Aid Home Page

Brookdale Home Page


Brookdale is actively seeking to remove all economic barriers for those who desire a college education, but encounters some difficulty in achieving this goal because of financial circumstances. In order to receive financial aid at Brookdale Community College you must:

  1. have a High School Diploma or GED.
  2. be admitted and matriculated in a degree or certificate program at Brookdale.
  3. be a US Citizen or an eligible non-citizen
  4. be registered with Selective Service, if you are a male. Click here to Register with Selective Service
  5. not be in default of a student loan, or owe a refund on any federal grant as stated in the National Student Loan Data System (NSLDS)
  6. be making Satisfactory Academic Progress as defined by federal, state and/or Brookdale regulations.


Students must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Assistance (FAFSA) and a BCC Confidential ONLINE. Click here and click on to Check the Status of my Financial Aid.

APPLY EARLY! The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) can be completed as soon as the appropriate tax forms are completed. Complete your FAFSA on-line! It's easy and processing results usually take only one to two weeks, compared to the four to six weeks required for paper applications or renewals. Applying on-line is faster and more accurate. FAFSA on-line has built in edits to prevent students from missing required information. It is recommended that you use the IRS Data Retrieval Process when completing your FAFSA. You will need to know our Federal School Code #008404. Click here to file your FAFSA on-line.

Before applying on-line you may also apply for a PIN, or apply while you are completing the FAFSA on-line.. The PIN will serve as your electronic signature and avoid the necessity to print and mail a signature page with your on-line FAFSA. Parents of dependent students should also apply for a PIN! You have the option to create your own PIN or have one created for you. If you do not create your own, you need to allow 3 days for a response if providing an e-mail address and 10 days if the pin number is to be mailed. Click here to apply for a PIN.

Can't apply on-line?

For those of you that may not have a computer or access to the Internet, or just feel uncomfortable filing on-line, the paper FAFSA is available in the Brookdale Financial Aid Office. Click here for information on how to contact us. If you do not have a computer you are welcome to use the computers in the Financial Aid office or in the Bankier Library's Information Commons.


A Student Aid Report (SAR) will be forwarded to you by email or regular mail and an electronic version will be forwarded to Brookdale. You should review your SAR for accuracy. If you need assistance in correcting your SAR, call the financial aid office at 732-224-2361 and a financial aid specialist will assist you.

The SAR contains an Estimated Family Contribution (EFC) which is used to calculate your eligibility for federal financial aid. You will receive a Student Eligibility Notice (SEN) from The New Jersey Higher Education Assistance Authority (NJHESAA) that will list the state awards and amounts you may be eligible to receive as a full time student. Remember, the Brookdale financial aid office makes the final decision on the amount of state aid you are eligible to receive and will reduce the amount if you are not attending full time. The amount of your eligibility is based on the number of credits you are enrolled in. You must be enrolled in a minimum of 6 credits to qualify for state financial aid.


Brookdale will mail you a Missing Information Letter if additional documents are needed to process your financial aid file. Your application may have been selected for verification by the US Dept. of Education requiring financial aid to obtain specific documents from you. Click here to link to the Forms and Publications page where you can download Brookdale's Verification Guidelines or Verification Worksheet. NJHESAA will contact you separately and request that you send them specific documentation. Please respond promptly in order to prevent delays in processing your application for aid and be sure that your address is current in the Office of Registration. If you have any questions about what you are to provide, please call the financial aid office at 732-224-2361.


The determination of your award package is based on the cost of attendance, the EFC resulting from your FAFSA and other resources you have to use towards the cost of attendance such as state funding or outside scholarships. The EFC is also used to determine eligibility for a Pell Grant.


 Full Time (13 credit average) Students (9 Months)

























 Part Time Students (Pro-rated Budgets) Part-time budgets will be constructed in the following manner:

  • ¾ time students .75 x (Tuition, Fees, Books and Supplies, Transportation, Personal Expenses) + Room and Board.
  • ½ time students .50 x (Tuition, Fees, Books and Supplies, Transportation, Personal Expenses) + Room and Board.
  • Less than ½ .25 x (Tuition, Fees, Books and Supplies, Transportation –( No Room/Board, Personal)


Once the financial aid office has received all required documents, you will receive an AWARD NOTIFICATION LETTER detailing your eligibility for aid. You may also receive an email alerting you to check your financial aid award on-line! Please be aware that your award package will be based on your eligibility for aid, your enrollment status, as well as the availability of funds. Be sure to review all messages associated with your award letter. Click here to learn more about award letter procedures and your Rights and Responsibilities as a financial aid student. Please note that it is your responsibility to determine if your financial aid awards are enough funding to cover your tuition and fees. If not, you will be expected to pay the difference to the college within payment deadlines.


Once you are admitted to the College, Brookdale will assign all students with a user ID (your College ID) for use of the college's student online system called WEBADVISOR. Check the status of your financial aid and monitor your financial aid processing (documents needed, awards by term, etc.) by accessing the college's financial aid online system called, Financial Aid Online. Log in using the same number as your College ID for the User ID and first time user or last 7 digits of your SS# as your PIN#. If do not know your user ID or password, call the financial aid office at 732-224-2361. Click here to check your financial aid online.


Tuition & Fees: Sometime after the 10th day of the term for which you are enrolled, your financial aid, except for Federal Work Study, will be applied directly towards your tuition and fees account on a semester basis. If your award is large enough to cover your costs, you will not be required to make a payment.

Books & Supplies: If your award is larger than your tuition and fees you may use the difference to purchase books and supplies at The College Store. Bookstore charges must be completed by the end of the ADD/DROP period which is usually the first ten days of classes.

Payment of Remaining Aid: If your award is larger than your tuition and fees and books and supplies you may be eligible for a refund because there is a credit balance on your account. After tuition and fees, book charges and insurance charges (if any) have been posted to your account and financial aid credited to your account, any credit balance will be disbursed to you directly. You can expect a refund approximately two weeks after your financial aid has been credited to your account resulting in a credit balance. If you are enrolled in both a 15 week and a 10 week term, your refund will be made to you after the 1oth day of the 10 week term. Click here to learn about E-CHECKS


Students who completely withdraw from all of their courses and are receiving student financial aid are subject to having all or part of their financial aid returned to the appropriate financial aid programs.

For those students who withdraw prior to 60% of the enrolled period elapsing , a pro-rata schedule is used to determine how much SFA funds were earned at the time of withdrawal.

A student who receives all "F" grades with a last date of attendance prior to the 60th% of a term is considered an unofficial withdrawl. For those students who unofficially withdraw, the last date of attendance reported by the instructer after the end of the term is used.

SFA funds must be returned in the following order:

  • Unsubsidized Direct Loans
  • Subsidized Direct Loans
  • Federal PLUS loans
  • Federal Pell Grants
  • Federal Academic Competitiveness Grant (ACG)
  • Federal Supplement Educational Opportunity Grants (SEOG)
  • State Scholarships

If more aid is received that could have been reasonably spent for non-institutional costs (excluding Federal Direct Loan Programs), the unearned portion must be returned to SFA Programs.


Click here to learn more about award letter procedures and your Rights and Responsibilities as a financial aid student.



Applying for Financial Aid

After the FAFSA is completed

Missing Information and Verification

Award Notification

Check the status of my financial aid


Refund Policy